Re: Do dogs have absolute pitch?

I always assumed that perfect pitch is the default in animals, because
its physiologically quite simple. It's the relative pitch that is
difficult. Absolute pitch requires measuring the place of excitation
(the better the more precise the pitch) or measuring the interval
length between cycles. Relative pitch additionally needs a memory.
The dog is amazing though! Stuart's 'clever Hans' analogy implies that
the trainer gives some other hints that we cannot see (because of the
camera), but I wouldn't think this is impossible for a dog to learn.

Stefan

--
Dr. Stefan Bleeck
Hearing and Balance Centre