post-doc position in Southampton

Research Fellow

Human Sciences Research Unit

University of Southampton - Institute of Sound and Vibration Research

Location:  Highfield Campus
Salary:   £27,578 to £33,884
Full Time Fixed Term
Closing Date:   Friday 09 March 2012
Reference:  090512KR

Google PostDoc position at the ISVR in Southampton, UK for 1 year.

Title: the "neural space" - neurally inspired transformation of auditory information.

A full-time post-doctoral position is available in the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research at the University of Southampton, UK www.isvr.soton.ac.uk

Todays' speech enhancement systems - used in automatic speech perception (ASR) as well as in hearing aids (HA) - can reduce noise and increase the quality of speech, but they are not good at improving the speech intelligibility.

In this project we aim to improve the performance of ASR and HA in difficult acoustic situations like reverberation or competing speakers. We are going to investigate a novel method in which sound is transformed into a representation that is inspired by neural processing in the auditory brain stem. By this, different from classical noise reduction algorithms, we expect to create algorithms that concentrate on information rather than energy. For details Google our IEEE paper "neural space and noise reduction (Sang, et al 2011)".

You will work with analytical and numerical modelling techniques to design, implement and evaluate novel algorithms that can be used in ASR and HA.

Based on your interest you can also be involved in further neurophysiological data collection, teaching, undergraduate and postgraduate student supervision.

The research is funded by Google and it is expected that the results will be published and presented at international conferences and potentially at Googleplex, Mountain View.

You must have a strong background and a PhD in one or more of the following: PhD or equivalent professional qualifications and experience in physics, acoustical signal processing or auditory neuroscience with a mathematical background. You should have a good understanding and knowledge of acoustic and neuronal signal processing and psychophysics, and you have to be experienced in numerical simulations using a mathematical programming language (MATLAB).

For informal enquiries please contact S.Bleeck@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Please apply via the University of Southampton website (details below) and include a cover letter, publication record and CV. Please also provide names and email addresses of three referees and arrange for letters of recommendation to be sent separately to S.Bleeck@xxxxxxxxxxx quoting the reference number.

The closing date for this post is 9 March 2012. Please apply online through www.jobs.soton.ac.uk or alternatively telephone 023 8059 2750 for an application form. Please quote vacancy reference number 090512KR on all correspondence.

We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community. Please note that applications from agencies will not be accepted unless indicated in the job advert.

Click here for Employer Profile

--
Dr. Stefan Bleeck
Institute of Sound and Vibration Research

--
Dr. Stefan Bleeck