Re: A new paradigm?(On pitch and periodicity (was "correction to post"))

Dear dr Heerens and list-members,

I hesitate to get involved in this discussion as I have tried to explain the hydrodynamics behind (transmission line) cochlea models before in another thread on this list and don't like repeating myself. But I feel I have to lend my support the comments made by Dick Lyon.
As I have stated before fluid physics states that a fluid domain (such as the cochlea or a pond) with a flexible boundary subject to a restoring force (such as the aochlear partition or the pond surface) MUST exhibit 'ripples' on the surface. In the cochlea these are refered to as traveling waves. The wave energy is not traveling in the boundary itself but in the fluid. Any attempts to prove that such waves do not exist, or are based on 'bad physics', are unfortunately based on a lack of understanding of the fluid mechanics.
Whether the traveling wave is the only mechanism responsible for transporting sound energy to the hair cells is still a valid question, but untill an alternative model produces similar or better results on modeling physiological, pshychophysical and OAE date, I'll stick with the transmission line. Things like pitch perception and the missing fundamental can perhaps not be explained purely by looking at the average excitation caused by the traveling wave, but I don't think anyone ever claimed they could. In my opinion it is good to develop new theories, but we should attempt to integrate them with existing ones instead of throwing away something that has proven to work.

Kind regards,
Peter van Hengel