Re: Headphone sound pressure level?

    Dear Gemma.

    I don't know about that IEC standard but 113 dB/V is the sensitivity of the device and that is not a maximum pressure level. Maximum level can be estimated from sensitivity, power handling and impedance as power is: W=V^2/Z

Nominal impedance 64 Ohm
Sound pressure level (SPL) 102 dB (IEC 268-7)
Load rating 500 mW

    Maximum rms voltage is Vmax=SQRT(0,5·64)=5,6 V
    So maximum SPL should be 113+20 log(5,6)= 128 dB

    Now you have two solutions: 102 dB under IEC-268 and 128 dB when loaded with 500 mW, obviously there's a huge difference so I recommend you to just measure the SPL under the closer conditions you'll have on your tests.

    Best regards. Jose.