High-frequency hearing in humans

Deall All,

In connection with this thread, I suggest taking a look at:

Ashihara, K. and Kiryu, S. (2000). Influence of expanded frequency band of signals on non-linear characteristics of loudspeakers, J. Acoust. Soc. Jap. (J) 56, 549-555.
Ashihara, K. and Kiryu, S. (2003). Audibility of components above 22 kHz in a complex tone, Acustica - acta acustica 89, 540-546.

Brian Moore

Just to show that it is not a simple question of loudspeaker quality but also of recording quality I send you a Matlab script producing one square wave "sampled" at 48000 and another at 192000 Hz.  The difference is audible through any loudspeaker.

clear all
sf1 = 48000;
sf2 = 192000;
dt1 = 1/sf1;