Von: DickLyon@xxxxxxx
Datum: 14.01.2011 02:09
An: <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: sound waves in water

I believe Tony is correct, but there are also
sound waves "on" water, which have a transverse
component, as in the water waves you mentioned.
This is more like the kind of wave you find at
the interface between fluid and membrane in the
cochlea.

I think that any kind of vibration that
propagates can be called sound; for a transverse
component to propagate, you need something to
provide a transverse restoring force.  For waves
on water, gravity provides that; on the BM in the
cochlea, the BM stiffness provides it.  In free
water with no boundaries nearby, probably you
just get compression waves.

Dick