Re: sound waves in water

I believe Tony is correct, but there are also sound waves "on" water, which have a transverse component, as in the water waves you mentioned. This is more like the kind of wave you find at the interface between fluid and membrane in the cochlea.

I think that any kind of vibration that propagates can be called sound; for a transverse component to propagate, you need something to provide a transverse restoring force. For waves on water, gravity provides that; on the BM in the cochlea, the BM stiffness provides it. In free water with no boundaries nearby, probably you just get compression waves.

Dick