Cochlear maps.

Dear colleagues,

At the recent joint meeting of the Austrian and Swiss Physical
Societies in Innsbruck, and also last week at the meeting of
the Canadian Acoustical Association in Niagara-on-the-Lake,
I have given talks on "Old and New Cochlear Maps".

A useful and often quoted paper by D. D. Greenwood (1990)
has the title "A cochlear frequency-position function for
several species -- 29 years after". In my opinion, however,
four differently defined functions are necessary to adequately
describe cochlear physiology.

In the term "cochlear map", "map" signifies "mathematical
function". Presumably the term "cochlear map" is in common
use because "cochlear function" normally designates the way
in which the cochlea works. The study of cochlear maps will
help to understand cochlear function.

A two-page proceedings paper has just appeared:
R. Frosch, "Old and New Cochlear Maps",
Canadian Acoustics, Vol. 37, No. 3 (2009) 174-175.

Reinhart Frosch,
Dr. phil. nat.,
r. PSI and ETH Zurich,
Sommerhaldenstr. 5B,