Re: FUN

We use flea in our experimental setups in Turkey.
However, the procedure and the conclusion are certainly the same :-)

Best,
Ali

http://www.musicstudies.org/ali.html

On Oct 12, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Fred Herzfeld wrote:

There was a scientist who wanted to find out how important food was to a beetle. He conditioned (Pavlov) a beetle to crawl toward food on command of a bell. After the beetle was well trained he amputated one leg and repeated the experiment. Again the beetle crawled to the food. He amputated a second leg but the beetle still crawled to the food. When he amputated the next to last leg the beetle with some effort crawled to the food. Then he amputated the last leg. The beetle did not move. The scientist was surprised. He wrote in his notebook: When all legs of a beetle are amputated it looses its appetite.

Best,

Fred
Fred Herzfeld, MIT '54
78 Glynn Marsh Drive #59