Von: rsran@xxxxxxxxxxx
Datum: 17.08.2009 21:41
An: <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: lopsided tones.

Dear List,
I have been experimenting with a 100hz tone, where the positive half
sinusoid of the period is larger than the negative, the phase is however
is not changed. Speech seems to have this profile of larger positive
pulses as compared to the negative, hence my interest. Applying fft to
such a signal, I get an increase in magnitude for the 100hz component,
and an increase in the dc component. What I hear however is the basic
100hz tone, and a flutter on top of it, not what fft seems to indicate.
My assumption was that the increased dc component would not be heard,
and I would hear an increase in loudness of the 100 hz. However, the
base 100hz loudness does not seem to change as I increase the area under
the positive sinusoid, but the flutter does. Any history or explanation
would be most welcome.
Thanks and regards,
Randy Randhawa