From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Amy R. Scholik-Schlomer [AMY.SCHOLIK@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: 12 August 2009 19:29
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Impacts from ultrasound and infrasound

Hi,

I am emailing to ask the group if anyone can direct me to publications (preferably reviews) on the impacts of ultrasound or infrasound on humans/animals. Typically, impacts are only considered for those noises that fall into a species auditory range, but I wanted to know more about potential impacts/likelihood for impacts for those sounds outside the auditory range (assuming they would be more physiological, rather than behavioral, where an animal would have to hear the sound in order to respond).

I am coming at this from a bit different angle, since I am considering this in the context of non-human hearing ranges (thus, infra- and ultrasonic ranges may be different depending on the species), specifically for marine species (fish, marine mammals, and sea turtles).

In order not to clog up everyone's email boxes, you can respond to me directly, if you like (email in my signature below).

Thanks for your help,
Amy

--
____________________________________

Amy R. Scholik-Schlomer, Ph.D.
Fishery Biologist
NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service
Office of Protected Resources
Marine Mammal & Sea Turtle Conservation Division
1315 East-West Highway
SSMC III, Room 13605
Silver Spring, MD 20910

Email: Amy.Scholik@xxxxxxxx<mailto:Amy.Scholik@xxxxxxxx>
Phone: (301) 713-2322 x167
Fax: (301) 713-4060
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/acoustics/

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic. If you believe this email was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this email. Please direct any concerns to Infosec@xxxxxxxxxxx
The policy is available here: http://www.derby.ac.uk/LIS/Email-Policy