Re: AUDITORY Digest - 16 Jul 2009 to 17 Jul 2009 (#2009-162)

All involved:

This appears to be a long thread that I found among 669 emails awaiting me after a three week absence - and it is too late in the evening to try to scan completely or comment more than briefly.

The above was what i wrote two days ago at about midnight. Now today, with the thread still not dead, and complete comments too long to undertake at one go, maybe some piecemeal comments can be made.

Simply as regards the Mel scale and the "history" Dick and others speak of:

1) There were two Mel scales. The first in 1937 was steeper than the second in 1940. The two scales were obtained by different methods and the second was intended by Stevens to replace the 1937 scale. That replacement was warranted. It was the second scale that was later approximated closely by a function, Fant's as I have understood. The second is the Mel scale that has been used ever since.

2) The second Mel scale was based on equisections of each of three overlapping frequency ranges - but - as it appears later - without controls as to whether the subjects were basing their judgments primarily on listening to tones in ascending order, descending order, or both.

3) Stevens later apparently thought about this lack of experimental control in the context of his later ideas (1956) about differences between different kinds of scales, such as pitch and loudness. He was thinking in 1956 that "hysteresis" should not occur in pitch judgments (contrary to results of Titchener and all others - of which he may not have been aware). He wanted to compare results obtained in an ascending listening order with those obtained in a descending order. This led to an experiment in 1956 (using the original equipment), which two students conducted for him, I being one. He was disappointed and reported that hysteresis did occur in pitch- difference equisections (confirming Titchener and all others). Subjects set equisections higher when listening to tones in ascending order than when listening in descending order. He very briefly reported this result in this paper: Stevens, S.S. (1957) On the psychophysical law, Psychol. Rev., 64, 153-181.

4) Later in 1960 or 61, I compared the ascending order and descending order data obtained 1956 to the 1940 Mel scale (which I had not done in 56 - being a busy first year student - and which I do not know whether or not Stevens did). The concave ascending order data matched the 1940 Mel scale; the convex descending order data did not. These outcomes - plotted on and compared to my cochlear map of 1961 - were later published (when a spare moment occurred) in the following papers:

Greenwood, D.D. (1997) The Mel Scale's disqualifying bias and a consistency of pitch-difference equisections in 1956 with equal cochlear distances and equal frequency ratios, Hearing Res. 103, 199-224.

A shorter paper (same data - shorter discussion) was presented (and published) in the Proceedings of the 97 Fechner Society meeting in Poznan under the title: "THE MEL SCALE'S BIAS AND EQUAL PITCH- DIFFERENCES: IMPLICATIONS OF AN ALMOST LOGARITHMIC COCHLEA AND POSSIBLY SUBJECT-DEPENDENT CRITERIA".

5) I would ask, why use the Mel scale now, since it appears to be biased? If anyone wants a Mel scale they should do it over, controlling carefully for order bias and using plenty of subjects - more than in the past - and using both musicians and non-musicians to search for any differences in performance that may be governed by musician/non-musician differences or subject differences generally. Consult the reference lists of the two papers above for data and observations, from Stumpf onwards, as to why they should do so.

As regards some of the various cochlear maps:

1) Steinberg's (1937) function was based on the data of Shower and Biddulph (1931 or 33) on the frequency difference threshold (JND). These differed systematically as a function of stimulus level. Steinberg hypothesized, as the basis for the construction of the map, that all frequency JNDs corresponded to equal distances along the cochlea - an expected assumption at that time but not a sure thing. Further assumptions were required to accommodate the differences in data as a function of level.

2a) Steinberg's function and a non-identical function of Davis and Stevens (1935, I think) based largely on the same Shower and Biddulph frequency DL data (but clearly not in the same way), were later used by Feldtkeller and Zwicker [Feldtkeller, R. and Zwicker, E.(1953) Die Grosse der Elementarstufen der Tonhohenempfindung und der Lautstarkeempfindung. Acustica 3, 97-100.] to obtain two derivative functions. An "average" derivative lying between them was then graphically determined.

2b) That Mittelwert derivative (in the df/dx version) - and flattened horizontally below 300 Hz (later 500 Hz) later provided the SHAPE (i.e. form) of what became the Zwicker critical band curve. You first see the Mittelwert df/dx curve (without yet the flattening) in the following paper: Gassler, G. (1954) Uber die Horschwelle fur Schallereignisse mit verschieden breitem FrequenzsItpektrum. Acustica 4, 408-414. By 1955 it was flattened ("generously rounded for engineering purposes" as Zwicker said, for example, at Keele 1977) below 300 Hz.

2c) The Feldtkeller and Zwicker average derivative (with the added flattening below 300/500 Hz) obtained from the compromise between Steinberg's version of a cochlear map and Davis's and Stevens' version provided the SHAPE of the Zwicker critical band function seen from then on.

3) That shape was NOT determined by the original critical band data themselves, summarized in Fig. 10 of Zwicker, Flottorp, and Stevens (1957), and the individual curves in Fig. 10 were NOT fit by the critical band curve which appeared in Fig. 11 of that paper. In short, the curve in Fig. 11 is NOT the grand mean of the curves in Fig. 10, and only its ordinate position is based on them.

Larger figures (Figs. 10 to 15) showing how Zwicker's and Gassler's original critical band data are actually fit by the Zwicker critical band curve of Feldtkeller and Zwicker, Gassler, and Zwicker, Flottorp, and Stevens, as well as how they are fit by my critical band function of 1961 can be seen in:

Greenwood, D.D. (1991) Critical bandwidth and consonance in relation to cochlear frequency-position coordinates, Hear. Res. 54, 164-208.

Questions: Why, since the Zwicker (+ Feldtkeller and Gassler) critical band CURVE of 1955, 1957, and onwards) was NOT based on the shape of the actual critical band DATA they had obtained (but instead on the interpretive operations (in 3 different papers) based on much earlier frequency DL data - not necessarily equivalent) is it still being used - AS IF it had been based on the early (rather good) critical band data of Zwicker and Gassler in 1952 and 54? Hasn't enough time passed that the critical band data themselves (and not the proxy curve that doesn't fit them) be given priority?

These are not unreasonable questions, since the BARK scale (a putative frequency-position scale) is simply, in effect, the integral of the derivative (as modified by flattening) obtained by Feldtkeller and Zwicker, based on frequency-position curves that were inferred from frequency DL data. The Bark scale thus actually bypasses the Zwicker/ Gassler CB data that would have provided a differently shaped scale - and one actually based on their critical band data.

The total sequence:

a) Shower and Biddulph data on frequency DL hypothesized, in effect, to be derivatives of a cochlear map (i.e. to correspond to equal distances) b) integrated in effect by Steinberg (with assumptions to cope with intensity variations) c) same data in effect integrated by Davis and Stevens (with some quinea pig influence via in vitro physiological data) d) the resulting two putative frequency-position functions (Steinberg and Davis-Stevens) then plotted and graphically differentiated by Feldtkeller and Zwicker
e) Mittelwert derivative drawn as a compromise derivative.
f) df/dx Mittelwert is proportional to Zwicker/Gassler critical band data in mid-frequency region (500 to 3000) but not elsewhere. g) a non-mathematical function proportional to average df/dx derivative, that fits their CB data in mid frequencies, is flattened below 300 Hz and becomes the "critical band curve". h) the flattened df/dx derivative is later integrated to obtain the Bark scale (after Barkhausen - Stevens suggestion was to name unit after Fletcher). i) nobody appears to have thought that a curve called a critical band curve would be better based on actual estimates of critical bandwidth (ready, willing, and able to serve) - rather than on a back-and-forth sequence of integrations, differentiations, averaging, flattening, and a final integration that possesses more concavity than would have been obtained using an integration of the Zwicker/Gassler critical band data. j) in other words, establishing a linkage between a) past data (frequency DLs) plus earlier efforts to infer a frequeny-position function and b) their own newer data (CBs) was evidently considered more important to Feldtkeller and Zwicker than fully relying on their own later CB data. Obviously they felt a broader conceptual/ historical integration was desirable, which was/is defensible. A CB function based on the CB data could have been obtained as well, of course, but wasn't (although average curves per experiment were offerred - see my Fig. 12 (1991). k) it seems that very few in the non-German speaking (or reading) world were even aware of what occurred. [Zwicker did comment good- humoredly, about 3 times at meetings that I attended, that more of us English speaking attendees should be able to read German.]

We can't change historical developments, but it should not be completely impossible to change perspectives on what occurred and what should follow. The Bark scale as a cochlear map is not directly based on the data it has been thought to have been based on. It is not in good agreement with the physiological data that we have. But, of course, we are stuck with the fact that the physiological data we have (we're talking about humans) are from cadavers. I think we can be glad that the data are not from us, the living, but it is inconvenient not to have in vivo data. Nevertheless, it is some consolation that we have in vivo data from less fortunate species. The introduction to, and some comments within, my 1990 paper offers some hope for the working hypothesis that the 1961/1990 function for humans may be close to correct, notwithstanding the lack of in vivo data.

In any case, I don't think the various cochlear maps are equipotential, although I agree with Jont that all are probably close enough that they all support the conclusions he would like to draw as regards their explanatory value for the data he references. But unlike Jont, I have no objection to current usage in referring to the above cochlear map; it has a nice sound to me - maybe our preferences are attributable to differences in musical training.

This seems a good place to end - at least for now. Although perhaps this thread has been extinguished. Apologies for any egregious errors (or others).