Re: AUDITORY Digest - 17 Jul 2009 to 18 Jul 2009 - Special issue(#2009-163)

Dear Margret and list,

I am a very strong believer in the assessment of individual causes of
hearing loss ...

Recently Chuck Berlin came to visit us at work ... he pointed out very
clearly that simply probing an audiogram doesn't really isolate what it
is which is physiologically dis-functioning ....

I am a firm believer in this approach to diagnosis and cure ... Jont's
approach to understanding hearing impairment (as per the information on
your html link below) is most defiantly an appropriate direction to take

Currently we use a prescription to define the nature of non-linear gain
amplification on an individual basis ... the gain prescription is
becoming more and more advanced, to the point where the soon to
be released NAL-NL2 prescription formulae is expected to tune the
nonlinearity closer to what is clinically expected then ever before.

On a different tangent ....

In my opinion we are on the cusp of the next phase ...

No one has managed to invent it yet, and it is possible that no one will
... if you talk with those who have been around the industry for quite
some time, some of them have tried and have emerged on the other side as
pessimists ...

People are skeptical, more and more of the innovators see the answer to
the cocktail party noise as being the introduction of more
directionality ... think about it, more directionality, less peripheral
stimulation ... only the signal of interest makes it to the
nonlinearity ... this gets corrected ... etc etc etc
Well that paradigm works well (when the environment is not
largely reverberant)

>From a cold engineering perspective, I would say that the majority of
hearing correction comes from the core algorithm (currently the
nonlinearity) and everything else tacked onto that is only capable of
achieving a small improvement ...
To get close to perfect hearing requires more and more complexity,
possibly with each extra stage adding new artefacts which require their
own correction ... the mind boggles at how much power a hearing aid DSP
will eventually require !

So whilst I develop hearing aids which use traditional approaches of
nonlinear amplifiers and directional microphones/processing, I am most
certainly setting my sights on the future ... the new approach ...

The new approach must start with a clean slate and re-develop the core
algorithm ... in my opinion the core algorithm will be the largest
percentage of correction ... my belief in this has been tempered by the
pessimists ... they are not willing to support such research and
development in any way ... it is just too risky in their opinion ...
The only people who are willing to support are those in the hearing aid
manufacturing business ... even they will only offer in-kind support ...
So we may be waiting a while yet ...

Your suggestion of efferent connections has been a favourite topic of
mine for getting close to a decade ... it questions the separation of
place and temporal analysis ...
A great limitation of current hearing aids is that the prescription
(place nonlinearity) is tempered by the temporal compressors ... just to
exemplify my concern !

Matt

--

 ,dPYb,,dPYb,            I8
 IP'`YbIP'`Yb            I8        http://www.flatmaxstudios.com/
 I8  8II8  8I         88888888     http://www.flatmax.org
 I8  8'I8  8'            I8
 I8 dP I8 dP   ,gggg,gg  I8   ,ggg,,ggg,,ggg,    ,gggg,gg    ,gg,   ,gg
 I8dP  I8dP   dP"  "Y8I  I8  ,8" "8P" "8P" "8,  dP"  "Y8I   d8""8b,dP"
 I8P   I8P   i8'    ,8I ,I8, I8   8I   8I   8I i8'    ,8I  dP   ,88"
,d8b,_,d8b,_,d8,   ,d8b,d88b,dP   8I   8I   Yb,d8,   ,d8b,dP  ,dP"Y8,
PI8"888P'"Y8P"Y8888P"`Y8P""Y8P'   8I   8I   `YP"Y8888P"`Y8"  dP"   "Y8
 I8 `8,
 I8  `8,
 I8   8I  Public Projects :
 I8   8I  http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=mffm