From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Martin Braun
Sent: 21 April 2009 14:15
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: One's own voice (continued)

Kevin and others,

good question. It's this type of question that keeps science alive. My
suggestion would be that voice imitators do not imitate the power spectrum
of a voice that they hear. Instead they try to imitate its most striking
characteristic features.

You have an analogue in caricature drawing of well-known faces. These
drawings are very far from naturalistic, but the drawn persons can usually
be recognized instantaneously.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music