Re: Own voice versus recorded voice perception

Hi Ben,

I agree that, to a certain extent, one's voice sounds different when
played back from a recording because the spectral composition of the
signal registered at the cochlea is quite different.  In particular, a
lot of low frequency content is lost en route to a recording device
and back.  One's recorded voice is not nearly as imposing as one's
genuine, head-rumbling voice, and one can't help but feel a little
disappointed.

That said, the difference that one perceives between his/her actual
voice and the recorded version is far more than a difference in sound.
 Consider, for example, what it feels like to clap your hands.  Then
consider what your clapping hands feel like when you are completely
still, not moving a muscle.  Were you to experience such a feeling,
the perceptual discrepancy would be undeniable, and most probably
somewhat unpleasant.  Feeling yourself clapping, when you are not in
fact clapping, is just plain strange.  I'd imagine that at some point
in the not too distant past, one would have reacted with similar
puzzlement upon sensing that his own voice had freed itself from his
articulatory control.

Ted