Re: own voice versus recorded voice perception

When you speak, you’re hearing yourself through bone and air-conduction,
but the air-conduction is altered because of the vocalization-induced
acoustic reflex.  Since the middle ear system is stiffened when we talk,
the transmission of low frequencies should be attenuated, and high
frequencies emphasized.  This (along with previous discussion on
bone-conduction hearing) may help to explain why many think their voice
is so low and boomy on recordings, since one's recorded voice does not
induce the the filter of the acoustic reflex.

Matt

Matthew B. Winn
University of MD
Hearing & Speech Sciences
>>> Steve Beet <steve.beet@xxxxxxxx> 04/10/09 6:34 AM >>>
Ben,

Georg von Bekesy did a lot of work on bone conduction in the late
1950s/60s.
It included a paper "On the hearing of one's own voice by bone
conduction",
from JASA if I remember correctly (I have a copy in a box in my loft,
but
can't get to it at the moment to confirm the details). Others have
sporadically re-visited the topic since then. There's a very brief but
informative description of the phenomenon here:

http://onderwijs1.amc.nl/medfysica/doc/Bone%20conduction.htm

Steve Beet