Re: swept sine accuracy

Hi James,

I would have thought if the system truly is linear then it does not matter how fast you sweep the sine. The problem is only that most systems are only approximately linear.

As long as the input overall has enough bandwidth and enough energy to allow you to measure the response at a sufficiently good signal to noise ratio, then your done. Think about it this way: If you make the FM sweep effectively infinitely fast, then you get a kind of click, and you can collect the impulse response of the system by deconvolving the click from the recording. In theory that's great, but in practice there can be a problem with that because, in doing so, you 'pack a lot of bandwidth' into a short time, so you may need to output a lot of power to get a decent S/N. Your stimulus delivery might start distorting. Slow FM would be one way to deliver substantial stimulus at potentially modest stimulus power (you simply spread it out in time, hence less distortion, and potentially 'cumulatively' a good S/N.

Does that make sense?

All the best,

Jan