Re: 1. MP3 or AAC mixing in compressed/coded domain (2)

There are applications which work in the compressed domain ... this is
not a new concept. The reason is that each time you uncompress edit and
re-compress, you loose audio quality. For that reason people have long
been doing it.

Here is an example application :
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

Further, video editors (such as Sony Vegas) tend to be rather limited in
their audio resolution. In other words, they don't let the editor go
down to the sample for cuts ... normally, the video editors are broken
into blocks of samples which are of a video frame's length in time.
The majority of audio editors do allow to the sample editing. Now, that
said, there may be limitations in editing MPEG encoded audio down to the
sample, as they tend to be block based algorithms.

Matt