Re: Roughness in audio and vision

Bryan,

A commonly used reference for measuring auditory roughness is a 1 kHz tone with a sine wave amplitude modulation at 70 Hz. The roughness of this sound can be modified by changing its modulation depth. A summary of this work is available in:

Zwicker E, Fastl H: Psychoacoustics : Facts and models, ed 2nd updated. Berlin ; New York, Springer, 1999.

In our own research on roughness perception in voices, we have used a somewhat different reference for quantifying roughness. We use a 150 Hz sawtooth wave mixed with some noise (SNR=12 dB) as the carrier signal. The amplitude of this carrier signal is modulated by a 40 Hz raised sine wave. The roughness of this signal can then be varied by manipulating the modulation depth.

Shrivastav R, Eddins DA, Patel S, Cummings S: A rough task: Defining a measure for rough voice quality. J Acoust Soc Am 2008;124:2495.

(Poster presented at a recent ASA meeting)

I’m afraid, I have few ideas about manipulating roughness in visual images or the connection between auditory and visual roughness.

Rahul