PhD Studentships, School of Healthcare, University of Leeds, UK

Dear List

If you have a look closely at the advert below you will see an Auditory topic on the list. We have state of the art laboratories in which we carry out multi-sensory research and links with the Institutes of Transport Studies and Psychological Sciences at the University of Leeds. Please feel free to contact me for further details

Nick

n.j.thyer@xxxxxxxxxxx

+44 113 343 1238

PhD STUDENTSHIPS IN HEALTHCARE

Applications are invited for three full time (three-year) PhD studentships, to start in September or October 2009 in The School of Healthcare, which has a vibrant research community and was ranked 6th nationally in the recent Research Assessment Exercise. You will be a qualified healthcare professional; or a graduate with a health-related degree (or anticipated to graduate this summer). You will have a Bachelor's degree first or upper-second class, or a Master's degree.

You will receive an annual tax-free stipend starting at £13,246 (£14,350 for healthcare professionals), an allowance for research expenses and training, and the School will pay EU/ home level tuition fees. You will also be able to undertake some paid employment by mutual agreement (maximum 1 day per week). There are three studentships available.

We welcome applications to undertake any of the following projects (lead supervisor):

·        Anxiety after stroke (Dr Peter Knapp);

·        Self-management for patients with stroke (Dr Jenni Murray);

·        Globalization, psychological distress and counselling and psychotherapy (Prof Dawn Freshwater);

·        Self-management of more than one long term condition (Dr Felicity Astin);

·        Evaluating complementary and alternative (CAM) therapies in the NHS (Prof Kate Thomas);

·        Comparing complementary health centres in the UK and Europe that use a combination of therapies (Dr John Lees);

·        Intracardiac defibrillators: impact on psycho-social function (Dr Paul Marshall);

·        Clinical decision making in the context of compression bandaging of lower limb ulceration (Dr Jill Firth);

·        The influence of auditory processing on cognitive resources in driving (Dr Nick Thyer).

Further details and application forms are available from Mrs. Christine Shaw (0113 343 5635 or c.m.shaw@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:c.m.shaw@xxxxxxxxxxx> ) or at

http://www.healthcare.leeds.ac.uk/pages/research/studentships.htm <http://www.healthcare.leeds.ac.uk/pages/research/studentships.htm>

Closing date: Friday 13th March 2009 at 12:00 noon.

Interviews: Wednesday 22nd April.

If you anticipate potential problems with this interview date please state this in your letter of application.

We are committed to equal opportunities.