Re: The ear dynamically adapting frequency response

If Neal Viemeister or Sid Bacon are monitoring this list, they can tell you that they have seen this rapid adaptation at high frequencies in psychophysical experiments, in normal-hearing people.

Beth Strickland

From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of José Ignacio Alcántara
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 12:25 PM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: The ear dynamically adapting frequency response

Not wishing to be pedantic, but I doubt very much whether any mobile phone transducer would have a useable frequency range extending to 16 kHz.  But then again, 8 kHz would work just as well for presbyacustic adults...

And as far as I recall, significant adaption in hearing is relatively rare, so much so that it used to be one of the diagnostic signs of retrocochlear (e.g. acoustic neuroma) pathology.

Jose