long mp3 files

Dear Peter
Have you tried mpg123 or sox? Both are free under linux.
I'm sure that sox does this. Here is a small part of the man page for mpg123:

NAME
       mpg123 - play audio MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 stream (layers 1, 2 and 3)

SYNOPSIS
       mpg123 [ options ] file ... | URL ... | -

DESCRIPTION
mpg123 reads one or more files (or standard input if ‘‘-’’ is speci‐ fied) or URLs and plays them on the audio device (default) or outputs
       them to stdout.  file/URL is assumed to be an MPEG audio bit stream.

OPERANDS
       The following operands are supported:

file(s) The path name(s) of one or more input files. They must be valid MPEG-1.0/2.0/2.5 audio layer 1, 2 or 3 bit streams. If a dash ‘‘-’’ is specified, MPEG data will be read from the stan‐ dard input. Furthermore, any name starting with ‘‘http://’’; is
               recognized as URL (see next section).

    -s, --stdout
The decoded audio samples are written to standard output, instead of playing them through the audio device. This option must be used if your audio hardware is not supported by mpg123. The output format per default is raw (headerless) linear PCM audio data, 16 bit, stereo,
              host byte order (you can force mono or 8bit).