Re: Ecological Acoustics Women

Bruno : May I ask what the goal/purpose of your review is?

A women studies Revue (Université Laval, City of Québec) called for papers on Ecology.
I asked if they were interested in Acoustics Ecology women's work.
They answered back: Since we know nothing about Acoustics Ecology, we welcome your proposal.

I will manily present the «ambiophone approach» I developped in me thesis and expose few other ways of dealing with Acoustic Ecology object/method/problématique. I won't be able to go over many articles because the dead line is too short. But at least, the article will include an extended list of women's work on the field.

Articles written by soundscape artists are also welcome.

Thank to you all
Claire

Bruno L. Giordano a écrit :
Hello Claire,

as far as perception of nonspeech/nonmusical naturalistic sounds is
concerned, Claudia Carello, Catherine Guastavino, Laurie Heller, Roberta
Klatzky and Terri Bonebright come to my mind. You might also consider
Clara Suied, more focused on sound design and multisensory interaction.
To my knowledge, Eleanor J. Gibson did not focus on Ecological Acoustics
per se, but quite likely contributed to the development of the field.

If, as some authors do (e.g., Gaver), you consider the study of the
perception of musical timbre as one of the most ecological topics in
mainstream nonspeech hearing science (along with the study of spatial
sound), you will have to consider several more authors. By memory I can
mention Carol Krumhansl, Anne Caclin, Sophie Donadieu, Caroline Traube,
{Mitsuko Aramaki/Sølvi Ystad} and Claudia Fritz. I am sure there are
more (and I'm sorry if I forget somebody I know).

You might be able to find some more in the field of sound design (what's
more ecological to us than the sound of appliances?).

May I ask what the goal/purpose of your review is?

Good luck,

    Bruno

@article{aramaki2007sqa,
  title={{Sound quality assessment of wood for xylophone bars}},
  author={Aramaki, M. and Baill{\`e}res, H. and Brancheriau, L. and
Kronland-Martinet, R. and Ystad, S.},
  journal={The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America},
  volume={121},
  pages={2407},
  year={2007},
  publisher={ASA}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{bonebright01,
  author = {T. L. Bonebright},
  title = {Perceptual structure of everyday sounds: a multidimensional
scaling approach},
  booktitle = {Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on
Auditory Display},
  year = {2001},
  pages = {73--78}
}

@INCOLLECTION{carello03,
  author = {C. Carello and J. B. Wagman and M. T. Turvey},
  title = {Acoustical specification of object properties},
  booktitle = {Moving image theory: Ecological considerations},
  publisher = {Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press},
  year = {2003},
  editor = {J. Anderson and B. Anderson}
}

@ARTICLE{carello98,
  author = {C. Carello and K. L. Anderson and A. J. Kunkler--Peck},
  title = {Perception of object length by sound},
  journal = {Psychological Science},
  year = {1998},
  volume = {9},
  pages = {211--214},
  number = {3},
  month = {May}
}

@ARTICLE{gibson55,
  author = {J. J. Gibson and E. J. Gibson},
  title = {Perceptual learning: differentiation or enrichment?},
  journal = {Psychological Review},
  year = {1955},
  volume = {62},
  pages = {32--41},
  number = {1}
}

@BOOK{gibsonej00,
  title = {An ecological approach to perceptual learning and development},
  publisher = {Oxford University Press},
  year = {2000},
  author = {E. J. Gibson and A. D. Pick},
  address = {New York, NY}
}

@article{guastavino2007ces,
  title={{Categorization of environmental sounds}},
  author={GUASTAVINO, C.},
  journal={Canadian journal of experimental psychology},
  volume={61},
  number={1},
  pages={54--63},
  year={2007},
  publisher={Canadian Psychological Association}
}

@article{guastavino2006ius,
  title={{The Ideal Urban Soundscape: Investigating the Sound Quality
of French Cities}},
  author={Guastavino, C.},
  journal={Acta Acustica united with Acustica},
  volume={92},
  number={6},
  pages={945--951},
  year={2006},
  publisher={Hirzel Verlag}
}

Laurie Heller: http://titan.cog.brown.edu:8080/AuditoryLab/

@article{heller2002seb,
  title={{When sound effects are better than the real thing}},
  author={Heller, L.M. and Wolf, L.},
  journal={The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America},
  volume={111},
  pages={2339},
  year={2002},
  publisher={ASA}
}

@article{ecker2005avi,
  title={{Auditory-visual interactions in the perception of a ball's
path}},
  author={Ecker, A.J. and Heller, L.M.},
  journal={Perception},
  volume={34},
  number={1},
  pages={59--75},
  year={2005}
}

@BOOK{michaels81,
  title = {Direct perception},
  publisher = {Prentice--Hall},
  year = {1981},
  author = {C. F. Michaels and C. Carello},
  address = {Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey}
}

@ARTICLE{klatzky00,
  author = {R. L. Klatzky and D. K. Pai and E. P. Krotkov},
  title = {Perception of Material from Contact Sounds},
  journal = {Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environment},
  year = {2000},
  volume = {9},
  pages = {399--410},
  number = {4}
}

C Suied and I Viaud-Delmon (2008), The role of object categories in
auditory-visual object recognition, 9th
International Multisensory Research Forum, Hamburg, Germany,
http://imrf.mcmaster.ca/IMRF/ocs/index.php/meetings/2008/paper/view/417

@conference{suied2005tsd,
  title={{Toward a Sound Design Methodology: Application to Electronic
Automotive Sounds}},
  author={Suied, C. and Susini, P. and Misdariis, N. and Langlois, S.
and Smith, B.K. and McAdams, S.},
  booktitle={Proceedings of ICAD},
  volume={5},
  year={2005}
}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bruno L. Giordano, PhD
Music Perception and Cognition Laboratory
CIRMMT http://www.cirmmt.mcgill.ca/
Schulich School of Music, McGill University
555 Sherbrooke Street West
Montréal, QC H3A 1E3
Canada
Office: +1 514 398 4535 ext. 00900
http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~bruno/

Claire Piché wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for articles, research reports, essay, etc. about Ecological acoustics written by women. Papers written in french are also welcome.

I know the work of Nancy J. Vanderveer

Thanks
Claire Piché, Ph. D.
Études et pratiques des arts.