2. cheap headphone + sound card

Dear Massimo,
I confirm too having problems with USB 1.0 audio interfaces; I've never used USB 2.0, therefore I can't really give you feedback on those, but I can ensure that Firewire (both 400 and 800) and PCMCIA (now there should be a new "express" version) are fare better in terms of stability ad CPU load.
I'd recommend for sure RME interfaces if you are thinking to work with PC, whilst if you have an Apple platform, I would alse recommend MOTU interfaces.
About the headphones, I imagine you want supra-aural headphones, and I'd suggest to take a look to the Beyerdynamic and to the Sennheiser catalogues...
Yours
Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Picinali
Music, Technology and Innovation Research Centre