Re: A problem about the relationship between perceived quality and loudness! thanks

Junyong:

After much searching through my old files, I have found
what I think to be the original report... but it is
disappointing in that it is not quite what I remembered,
and hardly a suitable scientific reference.

It is a reprint from "Hi-FI for Pleasure" magazine (UK?)
from the Dec 1975 and Mar 1976 issues entitled "17
Amplifiers Taken to Task".  Unlike most such tests, this
was conducted double-blind and seems to have been quite
rigorously controlled.  Each amplifier was evaluated
(blind) by a panel of listeners, who were asked (among many
other things) to set the "maximum tolerable loudness"
subjectively, and the objective SPL was measured and
recorded for each amplifier tested.  The loudness setting
was presumably a consensus among the panel.

The article presents all these SPL values (along with the
usual technical specifications and subjective evaluations)
for each unit tested.  The overall conclusions stated:

"An interesting side effect was noted in conjunction with
the high power testing.  Some amplifiers did not sound
'loud' in the annoying sense and yet produced high sound
levels as measured on the sound level meter.  Conversely,
others sounded loud even at lower measured levels.  This
altter effect was considered a bad sign in terms of
amplifier quality."

Sorry if I raised any false hopes!

Best regards,

Bob Masta