PhD research positions at the Centre for Digital

PhD Study Opportunities in the Centre for Digital Music
See www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/digitalmusic/phdstudy.html
The Centre for Digital Music at Queen Mary University of London is a
world-leading research group in the field of Music & Audio Technology.
Our research covers everything in digital music and audio: from
analysis, understanding and retrieval to delivery, synthesis and sound
rendering. We seek not only to investigate new applications of digital
signal processing (DSP), but also to push forward the frontiers of DSP
itself.

PhD research opportunities are currently advertised in the following subjects
(see www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/digitalmusic/PhDStudentships.html for details)
- Automatic transcription from audio to common music notation
- Intelligent Mixing of Live Multichannel Sound
- Development of Interchannel Dependent Audio Effects
- Intelligent Instrument Recognition

Applications are also invited for PhD research study in any of our
areas of interest. Possible topic areas might include: automatic music
transcription; harmony analysis; auditory scene analysis; beat
tracking & rhythm analysis; blind source separation & independent
component analysis (ICA); joint audio/video tracking and
transcription; A/D & D/A conversion; sigma delta modulation; scalable
audio codecs; object based coding; sparse representations & sparse
coding; music information retrieval; semantic markup, musical metadata
& MPEG7 applications; audio effects; 3D sound & multi-loudspeaker
rendering systems; intelligent microphone arrays; automatic
accompaniment; interactive performance/internet jamming; interactive
compositional tools; biologically inspired audio processing; and
pervasive audio ("my music wherever I am"). We have recently invested
Â300k in a new state-of-the-art audio listening facility, and we are
keen to encourage at least one project in the area of 3D sound which
would be allied to this new facility.

For more information about the Centre for Digital Music and our
research, see http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/digitalmusic/

Funding
The Centre for Digital Music is part of the Department of Electronic
Engineering, which has a number of EPSRC-funded Research Studentships
that cover fees and maintenance for UK students, or fees-only for EU
students. Additional studentships are often available. There is always
strong competition for Research Studentships, so early application is
recommended. Applications are also welcomed from self-funded students.

Application
Applicants should follow the guidelines that can be found at
http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/study/phd/res-stud.htm

Informal enquiries
Please contact: Dr Josh Reiss, email: josh.reiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx