Date:    Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:59:28 -0700
From:    "Richard F. Lyon" <DickLyon@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Origin of the Mel frequency scale equation?

Rachel, thanks for those sources.  I had a bit of trouble finding the
1965 one until I realized the name is spelled Pedersen.
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0022-2909(196524)9%3A2%3C295%3ATMS%3E2.0.CO%3B2-5

A related nonlinear frequency scale is Don Greenwood's place map.  In
1947, Stevens essentially claimed that the mel scale is a place map:
"it has been found most convenient to analyze speech by dividing it
up into bands that stimulate equally wide regions on the basilar
membrane. This is accomplished by choosing filter cut-offs at equal
intervals along the mel scale of subjective pitch" ( The Journal of
the Acoustical Society of America -- September 1947 -- Volume 19,
Issue 5, pp. 771-780,  S. S. Stevens, J. P. Egan, and G. A. Miller
"Methods of Measuring Speech Spectra").  But I don't think he showed
that his pitch magnitude method was actually related to a cochlear Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:59:28 -0700
From:    "Richard F. Lyon" <DickLyon@xxxxxxx>

[...]

place map.  Greenwood came at it from animal CF data, if I recall
correctly, and came up with somewhat different formulas.  I have his
papers in my office and can comment more after I get home and look at
them; here's a plot:
http://books.google.com/books?id=q1hoIKeBi90C&pg=PA135&dq=greenwood+place+map+frequency&lr=&as_brr=0&ei=_WPaR6nDEYHwjAHGx6XUBg&sig=AyneJQnz8PSYMRYpdUfItampmgs

Dick