Re: Most apical inner hair cell

Hi Robert,

I'm not aware of anything specifically on the human morphology but the
various primate labs might have addressed this question, e.g
 http://www.hei.org/research/scientists/flinthicum.html

I suggest your perspective might be broadened if look for papers on
maturation and development specifically by authors Fekete and also
Brigande, also Echteler as these address the development of the
spiral; e.g. whether it simply zooms up in size or whether the apical
end extends (telescopes) during development and when that process
ceases.  It certainly seems to be the case that this termination
process may be quite variable, somewhat on gender and if course
strongly upon species.

When I started to think about what defines the apex a few years
back I found much food for thought.  So you might also consider
my article which addresses the idea of redefining the apex in
relation to the Greenwood map model and a variety of logical
consequences flowing from this hypothesis:
LePage, E. L. (2003). The mammalian cochlear map is optimally
warped. J. Acoust.Soc.Am. 114(2), 896-906.

Rgds,
Eric LePage,
Perth, Australia
www.oaericle.com.au