From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stuart Rosen
Sent: 15. december 2007 08:56
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: low frequency noise in sound booth

I too have had this problem. In our quiet room in central London, you
can in fact, just about hear the tube trains as they pass under our
building. But even when it appears to be completely silent, our spectrum
analyser shows strong low frequency sound.

But A-weighting is not necessarily the best way to deal with this
problem and is often inappropriate depending upon what one is trying to
measure. Our spectrum analyser has the option of summing the power over
a specified frequency range, so I simply restrict the measuring range to
something like 50 Hz-10 kHz.

Yours - Stuart

--
Stuart Rosen, PhD

Directions to Wolfson House (where I am based):
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/dept/maps.html

Tel:   (+ 44 [0]20) 7679 7404
Admin: (+ 44 [0]20) 7679 7401
Fax:   (+ 44 [0]20) 7679 5107