From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of AUDITORY automatic digest system
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 12:13 AM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: AUDITORY Digest - 29 Nov 2007 to 1 Dec 2007 (#2007-273)

Topics of the day:

  1. Experiments with large N (2)

Date:    Sat, 1 Dec 2007 17:43:41 -0800
From:    Matt Wright <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Experiments with large N

Trevor Cox recently published the results of an online experiment
about listeners' ratings of sound files on a six-point scale ("not
horrible", "bad", "really bad", "awful", "really awful", and
"horrible").  To date he has 130,000 subjects (!) and about 1.5
million data points:

http://www.sea-acustica.es/WEB_ICA_07/fchrs/papers/ppa-09-003.pdf

Here's the website for his experiment: http://www.sound101.org

Clearly this is related to the "effect of visual stimuli on the
horribleness of awful sounds" that Kelly Fitz pointed out.

-Matt

On Jun 29, 2007, at 12:32 AM, Massimo Grassi wrote:
> So far it looks that the experiment with the largest N (513!) is
> "The role of contrasting temporal amplitude patterns in the
> perception of speech" Healy and Warren JASA but I didn't check yet
> the methodology to see whether is a between or a within subject
> design.

------------------------------

Not only related! Just to clarify, I do not recall exactly when I
pointed this out, but whenever I did, I was certainly referring to
just this study. (There is, for example, a link to this work from my
sound morphing web page http://www.cerlsoundgroup.org/Kelly/
soundmorphing.html)

Kelly

On Dec 1, 2007, at 5:43 PM, Matt Wright wrote:

> Trevor Cox recently published the results of an online experiment
> about listeners' ratings of sound files on a six-point scale ("not
> horrible", "bad", "really bad", "awful", "really awful", and
> "horrible").  To date he has 130,000 subjects (!) and about 1.5
> million data points:
>
> http://www.sea-acustica.es/WEB_ICA_07/fchrs/papers/ppa-09-003.pdf
>
> Here's the website for his experiment: http://www.sound101.org
>
> Clearly this is related to the "effect of visual stimuli on the
> horribleness of awful sounds" that Kelly Fitz pointed out.
>
> -Matt
>

> On Jun 29, 2007, at 12:32 AM, Massimo Grassi wrote:
>> So far it looks that the experiment with the largest N (513!) is
>> "The role of contrasting temporal amplitude patterns in the
>> perception of speech" Healy and Warren JASA but I didn't check yet
>> the methodology to see whether is a between or a within subject
>> design.

Kelly Fitz
DSP Research Engineer, Starkey Hearing Research Center

End of AUDITORY Digest - 29 Nov 2007 to 1 Dec 2007 (#2007-273)