Re: Speech recognition in noise

That relationship will depend greatly on the sentence material
used. A neat demonstration of this was presented by
Arthur Boothroyd and Susan Nittrouer
"Mathematical treatment of context effects in phoneme and word recognition" J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 84,
101-114 (1988).

They don't go as low as feature recognition, but they cover the
the roles of phonological, lexical, gramatical and semantic
contraints in sentence recognition.

John.

Dr. John F. Culling (Reader)
School of Psychology,
Cardiff University.
Tower Building, Park Place,
Cardiff
CF10 3AT
Tel. +44 29 208 74523
FAX +44 29 208 74858
www.cf.ac.uk/psych/home/cullingj1/

>>> Mahan Azadpour <azadpour@xxxxxxxx> 19/11/07 6:06 PM >>>
Dear List,

Can any one direct me to any studies that have measured the correlation between speech recognition
and phonological perception in noise ? I am interested to know how much perception of different
phonological features predicts sentence recognition performance under any kind of noisy situations.

Thanks in advance.

Bests,
Mahan