Re: AW: Cochlea Amplifier models : a new list

I am among those who strongly agree with Dan -- these remarks are for 3rd-rate blogs, not the Auditory List (=friends amd colleagues seldom with nobility of title, only of mind an spirit).

Hpwever, as a born Hungarian, I can't let Eackard's assertions go without a reply/ Von Neumann, indeed, came from a Jewish family of considerable fortune and of considerable  "European culture" -- as most well-to-do Hungarians at the turn of the century thought of themselves and were thought of by others in Central Europe. The Habsburg monarcvhy did reward many such families, whether Hungarian, Czech, or Austrian by birthplace and first language (yes! Yiddish was seldom the language in those families who wanted to "blend in") by gibing them a tilte. Yet, to say that they bought the title would be wrong: they were never charged for it, directly. It was more like a reward for contributing large amounts of money, work, and social-political effort to the betterment of economic, cultural, and social life in the Monarchy -- especially in the "minority regions" like Hungary, Slovakia, Galicia, Froatia, etc. So, these families became noble because they behaved like nobles: they were true and committed citizens of their monarchy, their region, and their towns. A historical footnote: nobility titles were de facto sold by monarchs all over Europe from the Middle Ages on, the only difference being that those new-nobles were not of Jewish origin.

Eckard: do your research better. Békésy György who translated his name into German when he was a student in German speakeing countries to Georg von Bekesy, came from very old Hungarian nobility. However, I would seriously doubt that he, the real;y-noble noble man as he was, would have made any distinction between his and von Neumann's "von".

For the information of all of you: I don't enjoy, even hate, lecturing this way on the list.

Pierre

PS: Eckard, if you are interested, I can tell you how I acquired my name. But not on the list. Rather, call me and I will tell you live voice -- it would take less of my time.