Question on paper by Recio et al.

Hello !

I just have succeeded in answering the question on the
paper by Recio et al. myself -- by reading the paper.

A. Recio et al. (1998), "Basilar-membrane responses to
clicks ...", JASA 103: 1972-1989.

In Section I.A. it says: "The hole allowed direct visualization
of the basilar membrane and placement on it of a few glass
microbeads (10-30 micro-m in diameter), which served as
reflecting targets for the laser beam."

On the chinchilla BM, one octave corresponds to about
delta-x_b = 2.3 mm; so the frequency ratio of the two
active peaks observed in Figs. 9 and 10,

9.0 kHz / 8.1 kHz = 1.111 ,

corresponds to about delta-x_b = 0.35 mm.

Possible reason for different heights of those two active
peaks: different glass-microbead diameters.

Reinhart Frosch.

Reinhart Frosch,
Dr. phil. nat.,
r. PSI and ETH Zurich,