Re: low-latency audio I/O for Windows

Dear Dan,
the first thing I want to recommend is to take a look at Wuschel's
Asio4all-drivers, available at
http://www.asio4all.com/
or the Asio2ks-drivers, available at
http://www.asio2ks.de/

which both provide a generic low-latency audio-driver for WDM audio
devices and worked very well for me with every soundcard I tried using
windows, although I doubt that you get latencies less than 3ms. Another
possibility (if using windows isn't crucial) would be to try the
Jack-audio-connection-kit for Linux, which provides generic
low-latency-drivers as well.

If price doesn't matter, a good purchase would be the an audio-interface
belonging to the "RME Hammerfall"-series, which guarantee latencies
between 1 and 3ms. For an overview, see

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hammer/index.htm   and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RME

With the Fireface800 and Fireface400 RME offers also firewire-variants
of the Hammerfall-interface.

For interfaces in a lower price-range I would recommend to have a look
at the interfaces offered by M-Audio at
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mobileinterfaces

or  those offered by Alesis at
http://www.alesis.com/

I wouldn't reccomend an USB-audio-interface in your case, since the
USB-interfaces generally achieve worse latencies than internal
interfaces and firewire-cards, due to the slower speed of the USB-bus,
altough I think that there are people taht would disagree.

I hope this was of help to you,
Greetings --- Niclas