Re: HC selectivity ... was Re: Physiological models of cochlea activity - alternatives to the travelling wave

Dick:

The point is that we are talking about the input signal to the cochlear
amplifier. There has to be a passive signal (the effective stimulus) on
which the positive feedback process can work. The BM displacement that is
measured in a normal cochlea is _after_ amplification has occurred (remember
that AJ's original figure of 1 pm was derived from Ruggero et al. 1997 by
looking at their post-mortem data).

So the fundamental question is, how can a normal cochlea detect 1 pm and
amplify it a thousand-fold (60 dB) so that we see a 1 nm displacement? I
agree with Martin that it can't, and there has to be some other, larger,
effective stimulus.

Andrew.

Andrew Bell
Research School of Biological Sciences