Re: Physiological models of cochlea activity

Dear John et al.:

I've been "listening in" to this series of exchanges with interest. I am not in this field--I am a plasma physicist--and I'm on the list only because I want to understand my own hearing problem. What John suggests amounts to playing God. As physicists, we try to understand how the universe works, but we cannot understand why it is the way it is. The ear is marvelously complex, and understanding it is a challenge. But to design a sensor that an animal needs to survive is an entirely different problem. We may not need to detect acoustic waves at all. Maybe an electromagnetic sensor can do the job, but natural selection or whatever has evolved the cochlea, and we have to live with it.

Frank Chen
___________________________

Francis F. Chen, Prof. Emeritus
Electrical Engineering Dept.