Re: HC selectivity ... was Re: Physiological models of cochlea activity - alternatives to the travelling wave

Dear A.J. and others,

1 pm is a subatomic magnitude. It is:

0.02 of the diameter of the hydrogen atom, the smallest atom in the universe
0.0000025 of the wavelength of blue light
0.01 of the wavelength of hard x-ray

There is no known physics by which a mechanical signal of this magnitude could be transported, let alone be detected.

Further, please keep in mind that the hair bundles of vertebrate hair cells are embedded in the Brownian motion of the molecules of the endolymph. It is well established that hair cell cilia are carried by this Brownian motion and thus move randomly in the order of hundreds and thousands of picometer. In mammalian outer hair cells (OHC) only the row 1 of the hair bundle is fixed by the tectorial membrane (TM). Rows 2 and 3 are freely floating in the endolymph. Because the channel gating mechanism of the tip links bridges adjacent rows, we know that the mechanical sensitivity of the ion channels in the OHC bundles is subject to Brownian motion.

So, an OHC sensitivity to a 1 pm signal would not only be against all known physics, it must also be excluded on theoretical grounds.

The problem that we are facing is a psychological one. Bekesy's traveling wave model was widely accepted long before useful data of the passive mechanics of the basilar membrane became available in the 1990s. Why was the model not abandoned then? It had been crystalized to marble in the majority of publications of the majority of living researchers. It's a simple as that, and Max Planck had a rather cynical view of this phenomenon in science:

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music
S-671 95 Klässbol