prenatal maturation of cochlea and vestibular system

Dear colleagues,

There seems now to be agreement from both physiological and behavioural
studies that the cochlea begins to function at about 20 weeks
gestational age. The frequency range is initially quite limited and
gradually expands. I have been trying to find equivalent information
regarding the vestibular system, which presumably begins to function at
about the same time. Can anyone point me to relevant physiological
literature? Behavioural studies are harder to carry out (although I know
of one attempt).

Richard Parncutt
University of Graz, Austria
Parncutt at uni-graz dot at