Re: How much is needed for sound identification ?

Thanks for all that fast answers !

The Murray (2006) paper seems quite interesting because it suggest that some semantic information was extracted from spectrotemporal patterns quite early.

Brian Gygi wrote :
There was a study involving time course of identification of environmental scenes that was presented at a conference.  I am away from the office until next week, but I can provide the link then.
Are you talking about this one ?
Recognition of Everyday Auditory Scenes: Potentials, Latencies and Cues
Vesa T. K. Peltonen and Antti J. Eronen and Mikko P. Parviainen and Anssi
P. Klapuri
Proceedings of the 110th Audio Engineering Society Convention
May, 2001

It seems that the semantic level (in a semantic tree) of the question asked to the participant was never taken into account in hearing studies. Am I wrong ? In vision studies, this factor (base category, super-ordonate category...)  seems to modulates  the results depending on the task used (lexical verification, rapide search...).

Sylvain Clément

Brian Gygi a écrit :

Ballas (1993) measured identification of environmental sounds that were truncated to 700 ms.  He found they were quite well identified, but he did not measure the time course - rather he measured reaction time, which varied quite a bit.

Ballas, J. A. "Common Factors in the Identification of an Assortment of Brief Everyday Sounds." J. Exp. Psych.: Hum. Percep. & Perf. 19 (1993): 250--26

In my environmental studies I have tried to edit sounds so that they were the briefest possible duration and still easily identifiable in pilot studies.  I found quite a range of times needed - some complex events, like a bowling ball rolling down a lane, or a tree falling, have quite extended times courses (> 3 s) needed to provide all the information necessary.

There was a study involving time course of identification of environmental scenes that was presented at a conference.  I am away from the office until next week, but I can provide the link then.

Brian Gygi

--
Sylvain CLEMENT (MCF)
JE Neuropsychologie et Cognition Auditive (JE 2497)
UFR de Psychologie
BP 60149, UniversitÈ Ch. de Gaulle Lille 3
Domaine universitaire "Pont de Bois"
59 653 Villeneuve d'ascq Cedex
FRANCE

tÈl : (03 20 41) 64 42