Re: Absolute pitch discussion

Dear Leon and list,

What you will use is determed at the moment your brains get wired. If some
one tells you around your third year: this tone on the piano is do, this
one is re, this one is mi, etc. you will pick that up very easily."

Quite right. But what we are struggling with is the "annoying" fact that - wherever we look - only a minority of such children develops absolute pitch (AP). Even in China, and even in the most musical families.

I agree with you on the value of AP. Our data indicate that it may be caused
by a minor neurodevelopmental pathology, quite similar to those causing one
of the many types of synesthesia. Those who are affected by AP can have
minor advantages from it, but also major disadvantages. The universal myth
of a connection between AP and musicality should perhaps be one of our
incentives to be careful and clear about the wealth of data that we already have.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music
S-671 95 Klässbol