Re: Absolute pitch discussion

Dear Robert, Diana, Henkjan, Roy, and others,

Robert Zatorre asked (concerning the recent PNAS study):

"Could it be, therefore, that the over-representation of AP in the
distribution represents a sampling bias?"

Yes, of course. But the crucial question is: Could the bimodal
distribution (clear APers vs. clear non-APers) be the result of a sampling
bias? And here the answer definitely is "No". There is nothing in the design
of the web study that could have attracted zero-APers on the one hand and
excellent APers on the other hand, but then could have repelled moderate and
low performance APers.

Thus the bimodal distribution, as shown in Fig. 1 of the study, has to be
regarded as an empirical fact. The consequences of this finding are
far-reaching. All human traits that are of purely environmental origin only
show one mode in the distribution of its strength.

If a trait shows two modes in the distribution, as is the case with many
pathological traits, we can be certain that a relatively simple genetic
factor is involved. In conclusion, after this new PNAS study, we are now
compelled to expect that a relatively simple genetic factor is involved in
the development of the cognitive version of absolute pitch (AP).

This does not mean that the environmental factors that were mentioned in
this discussion have become less important. But it is now clear that
environmental factors are not sufficient for the development of the AP
trait.

The crucial Fig. 1 of the study is easily available here:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/0703868104v1

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music