Position trackers (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I need to purchase or design a tracker for use in localization studies.
Because this data is being used in some modeling simulations, I need to
be able to measure response time as well as position. Obviously,
response time is going to be affected by the amount of time required to
turn to point to an object, but in this context, this effect on response
time is a valid input to our models. I've envisioned a sort of
head-tracker/pointer combination with tracking devices on both elements
so that I can measure "aim and click" accuracy relative to head position
and pointer position. The participant would be standing (on an "X" in
the center of a loudspeaker array or with headphones in a virtual
environment) and would be free to move - but would be instructed to stay
on the X and to rotate.

So, here is the question...
Has anyone built a similar device - or does anyone have advice of where
to go, what to consider, when creating such as device? I figure that
there may be knowledge on this list about what mistakes to avoid. I am
not an engineer, so please assume technical ignorance - although I do
have knowledgeable resources here who can help me to implement this.
A.

Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is
supposed to be doing at that moment. -Robert Benchley

Angelique Scharine PhD
Army Research Lab - HRED
AMSRD-ARL-HR-SD
APG, MD 21005-5425