Re: Implicit human echolocation

Facial vision is a term which is no longer used as the face has nothing, in
itself, to do with echo location.  However, as a long time user of echo location
for everything from bike riding to skydiving I can tell you that covering the
face as with a blindfold does effect echo location (especially passive location)
because it changes the texture and echo characteristics of the face.  A similar
situation is seen in either enucleation or eviseration particularly when both
eyes are involved.  So far as I know, the type of implant used makes no
difference as is the case with the type of prosthetic since materials such as
glass, granet, etc. are no longer used.

Tom

Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html