Re: AUDITORY Digest - 24 May 2007 to 25 May 2007 (#2007-115)

There were several suggestions in response to my question. Thank you
again. I am posting a compilation below. Trying to understand this leads
me to some comments and a question:

For speech and speech-like stimuli there appears to be an effect of high
freq HL (hearing loss) on perception at low-frequencies.
Because of reorganization, there is an improvement of the discrimination
of frequencies at the edge of the hearing loss (but how far does this
extend?)
There may be a global change is loudness sensitivity (gain?) due to high
freq HL.
There may be a global change in ITD thresholds.

Question: Would the perception of low freq simple stimuli (say pure tone
at 1 KHz) be affected by high freq HL beginning at 8+ KHz and in what
manner? Other non-speech but more complex stimuli like combinations of
narrow-band FM sweeps?

Fatima

Fatima Husain, Ph.D.

1] From Ben Hornsby
Horwitz, A. R., J. R. Dubno, et al. (2002). "Recognition of
low-pass-filtered consonants in noise with normal and impaired
high-frequency hearing." J Acoust Soc Am 111(1 Pt 1): 409-16.

F. Husain: See also comment by Strickland et al. 2004, JASA, 116(1) on the
above paper. They disagree with Horwitz et al.?s study
findings/conclusions. They say ?high-CF fibers not necessary for normal
speech perception.?

2] From Christian Lorenzi
you may have a look at Horwitz et al.'s (very well conducted) work on this
topic:
Horwitz, A.R., Dubno, J.R. & Ahlstrom, J.B. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 111,
409-416 (2002).

He also sent his ARO 2007 poster on ?perception of temporal fine structure
cues also reveals the presence of deficits in temporal perception in this
low-frequency region?.

3] From Arnaud Norena
hearing loss (and the related plastic changes) has been shown to be
associated with an improvement of frequency discrimination at the cut-off
frequency of the hearing loss (McDermott et al., 1998; Thai-van et al.,
2002, 2003, 2007 - in press; Kluk and Moore, 2006).
On the other hand, it seems that a hearing loss confined to high
frequencies could induce a global increase in auditory hypersensitivity
(hyperacusis). We have a paper in press (Norena & Chery-Croze, 2007), but
see also the interesting study of Formby et al (2003).

4] From Laurent Demany