Re: By any other name...

So, when a tree falls in the forest, with a helicopter is flying over your
head, does the tree ...

It seems that the answer to the question of whether the signal is present
or absent when it is replaced by noise will depend on our level of
analysis.  As far as we can trust signal processing methods for 'objective'
judgments, it seems that different signal processing methods may classify a
signal as either present or absent as well.

Also, I recall that the ability to judge the signal as being replaced vs
masked by noise was used to study the strength of restoration by Samuel,
1981.  (Not that there isn't a psychological trick for the investigator
studying this phenomenon as well). On the other hand, knowing under what
conditions the signal (or rather associated percept) is reported as being
present can tell us something about the analysis process, making the
metaphysical aspects of 'objective' reality of the signal somewhat
irrelevant.

For example, we did a small experiment (sorry for self promotion) that
seemed to indicated that the same element of an acoustic signal (i.e. white
noise) can be perceived as either hiding fricative noise of speech or as
nonspeech noise depending on whether it is integrated with the speech or
noise components of a mixed signal.  Since it was always the same acoustic
segment (which was not speech per se), the objective reality of it seemed
less relevant than the perceptual one.  (The details of the study can be
found here: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10936-007-9054-y )

Valeriy

Valeriy Shafiro
Communication Disorders and Sciences