Re: harmonic vs. inharmonic sounds (one last time)

Martin,

it appears to me that we have now landed in the realm of speculation (which is fine). Continuing with some more speculation: in your opinion, what is the role of cochlear mechanical frequency analysis in mammals?

Erik

Martin Braun wrote:
Dear Al and List,

physiological models of pitch extraction have been discussed at length on
this list and are easily to be found on the internet. Perhaps some more
general observations can be of use in the present discussion.

Lizards, and many other animals, have taught us that frequency filtering in
the inner ear can be achieved by tuned resonators (hair cells).

We have detailed and explicit data showing that also neurons can function as
tuned resonators. They are able to respond most strongly to one of many
frequencies that occur simultaneously in a large network of neural fibers.

The anatomy of the central nucleus of the inferior colliculus in mammals is
specifically adapted to a technique of pitch extraction that is very similar
to man-made electronic pitch extraction based on summation techniques.

Neither man-made electronic devices nor brains of animals need harmonic
grids to extract the pitch from a vowel. It is not really surprising that
such things have never been found in a brain.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music
S-671 95 Klässbol
Sweden
web site: http://w1.570.telia.com/~u57011259/index.htm

-- Erik Larsen PhD candidate Speech and Hearing Bioscience and Technology http://web.mit.edu/shbt

The best cure for insomnia is to get a  lot of sleep.
		-- W. C. Fields