Re: Pitch learning

Ole Kühl wrote:

"We could say that we conceptualize a pitch through the integration of
information from two different domains: a perceived timbre domain and a
learned schema for partials."

It does not seem to be a cognitive process, rather a sensory one. Musicians
make use of it without being aware of much.

Integration across different auditory domains, yes. I would call it the
timbre domain and the chroma domain (for the given case of extreme low pitch
from musical instruments).

It may not be necessary to assume "a learned schema for partials", though.
The anatomy of the auditory thalamus suggests a chroma filtering that is as
precognitive as the f0 filtering in the midbrain. For a very short summary,
see:

http://web.telia.com/~u57011259/eng7.htm

Martin

Martin Braun