To: "Ole Kühl" <kyhl@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] Five string bass

Ole Kühl wrote:

Possibly, musicians with their highly trained ears are simply capable of hearing more than non-musicians?
It is unlikely that it is the ears that are trained. It is more likely to be the brain, or the use of words to describe perceptions. But to begin with we need to understand just what it is that trained musicians can do with low notes that the rest of us can't.

Do you really think they can reliably make finer pitch discriminations?
I understand that they think they can, but is it true of the population of trained musicians? And if it is true, is it a big difference?
If so, someone should try and demonstrate just how much better they are.

Regards Roy P

 Ole Kühl
kyhl@xxxxxxx <mailto:kyhl@xxxxxxx>
www.cogmus.com <http://www.cogmus.com>