Re: STFT vs Power Spectral in Musical recognition system ?

Arturo, I totally agree with the idea of using log(1 + KM), or log(M + epsilon) as I usually do it. This kind of nonlinearity is especially important in systems with an imprecisely known zero level or a variable noise floor. On the other hand, a power law, though it has an infinite slope at 0, is not half as bad as a plain log, and lots of people use that anyway. A stabilized power law, like (M + epsilon)^(1/3) is another good choice, probably more in line with perception that letting it go log-like at high magnitudes. With any of these, adjusting your parameters to accommodate a realistic range of input signal levels becomes important; you can no longer ignore scale factors and hope for algorithms to work fine on inputs varying over many orders of magnitude in scale.

Dick