Re: STFT vs Power Spectral in Musical recognition system ?

Edwin,

A power spectral density is only defined for stationary signals, not music. The STFT generalizes it to short segments, if you use the squared magnitude.

The difference between the absolute value, square, log, etc. are just point nonlinearities that do not change the information content, but do change the metric structure of the space a bit. Log is too compressed, leading to too much emphasis on near-silent segments, while the square (the power you ask about) is too expanded, leading to too much emphasis on the louder parts. A good compromise is around a square root or cube root of magnitude (roughly matching perceptual magnitude via Stevens's law), but the magnitude itself is also sometimes acceptable, depending on what you're doing.

Dick